If you want to hurt yourself and self-harm, these are lots of ways you can help yourself. Lots of young people have said that techniques and top tips like these have really made a difference.
Write it down
- Write down how you feel in a diary or elsewhere. This can help you make sense of your feelings, and if you read it back it could help you understand more about why you are self-harming.
Talk it through
- Talk to friends or family.
Ride the wave
- Paint, draw or scribble in red ink.
- Hold an ice cube in your hand until it melts.
- Write down your negative feelings then rip the paper up.
- When you feel an urge to self harm use the Stem4 app for a long as you need to “ride the wave”.
Be good to yourself
Distract yourself from the urge to self-harm:
- Listen to music.
- Take a bath or shower.
- Watch your favourite funny film.
- Be kind to yourself and try to build your self-esteem.
Stay away from danger
- Identify your ‘triggers’ – things that make you want to hurt yourself – and try to stay away from them.
- Only visit websites that give you positive advice and hope for the future.