When we’re anxious and worried, it can seem like we don’t have any control over what we think or how we feel. But making simple changes can really help with anxiety – helping us to relax and feel less stressed out. Simple things can make a real difference to our mental health.
Talk to people
- Talk to someone you trust – ask them to help.
- Tell your friends and family how you’re feeling.
- When you feel worried – and especially if you think you might have a panic attack – stop and take 10 big, slow, deep breaths.
- Try doing breathing exercises each day.
Relax and chill out
- Distract yourself, take time out from thinking about your worries.
- Reassure yourself – think of the positive things that could happen.
- Listen to music that makes you feel good.
- Give Mindfulness a go – try the Calm app or the Headspace meditation app .
Eat and drink well
- Eat healthy food – unhealthy food, such as too much sugar and additives, can make you feel stressed out.
- Stay away from caffeine and alcohol, which can make you feel more nervous.
- Do some exercise – it a great way to manage adrenaline and anxious feelings.
“Confront your fears, list them, get to know them, and only then will you be able to put them aside and move ahead.”
– Jerry Gillies