I need someone to talk to locally

heart shape with pink and grey colour splash

Whatever you’re going through, you don’t need to go through it alone. Talking to someone can help. Here are ideas about who you can talk to.

Family, friend or someone you trust

Talking with a friend, family member or someone you trust about how you feel will often help you calm down and feel more comfortable. Talking to someone you trust can help you see your situation more clearly and can give you new ideas to help make things better.

Family and friends can also support you in making positive changes to your lifestyle, for example going out to different places or signing up for an activity that you’ll enjoy.

Someone in school or college you feel comfortable with

Choose an adult in your school or college who you feel comfortable with – this might be your form tutor, but it can be anyone.

Plan what you want to say before you go and see them; this will help the conversation go well and can make you feel less nervous. Try and include some examples so the adult understands your situation. Make sure you check if it’s a good time to talk and if not arrange a better time so that they aren’t in a hurry and can listen properly.

"Human beings are not designed to go through life alone. No one has to bear the burden of the tough times all by themselves."

- Jack Canfield

Youth clubs 

Youth clubs can provide advice and support to young people as well as a safe, fun place to hang out. Here are some youth clubs in the Gloucestershire area:

  • Soul Talk is a young people's listening service available every Friday night during the youth night at The Cavern in Gloucestershire.
  • The Rock in Cheltenham has a variety of activites and skills learning for young people every Monday, Tuesday and Thursday evening during school term time. 
  • The Door have three Youth Centres in Stroud and Dursley with a range of activities and skills learning for young people to participate in.

Or go to the Young Gloucestershire website to find other clubs near you.

School nurse

School nurses offer a confidential drop-in service for young people in secondary school and at college.

Your school nurse can support you and give advice on all kinds of issues to do with mental health, wellbeing and friendship – whatever’s on your mind.

Cover for School Nurse drop-in information

School Nurse drop-in information

Find out when the school nurse will be at your school.

You can also call or email your local school nursing service; please leave a message if you get the answerphone, as the nurses may all be out at schools.

Cheltenham nurses are based at Springbank Community Resource Centre:

Phone: 01242 581009
Email: CheltLocal.SNT@glos-care.nhs.uk

Cotswolds nurses are based at Cirencester Hospital:

Phone: 0300 421 8906
Email: Cots.SNT@glos-care.nhs.uk

Forest of Dean nurses are based at Dilke Memorial Hospital:

Phone: 0300 421 8661/2
Email: FODLocality.SNT@glos-care.nhs.uk

Gloucester nurses are based at Finlay Community Hub:

Phone: 0300 4211795
Email: GlosSchoolNurseLocalityTeam@glos-care.nhs.uk

Stroud nurses are based at Stroud Maternity Hospital:

Phone: 0300 421 8959
Email: StroudLocality.SNT@glos-care.nhs.uk

Tewkesbury nurses are based at Tewkesbury Community Hospital:

Phone: 0300 421 6161
Email: TewksLocality.SNT@glos-care.nhs.uk

Special School nurses are based at Springbank Community Resource Centre:

Phone: 01242 285960
Email: SpecialSchoolNurseTeam@glos-care.nhs.uk


Counselling gives you a safe and regular space to talk and explore your feelings. Sometimes it’s hard to talk about upsetting things but with professional help and support over a number of sessions, you should start to feel better.

For counselling to work you need to have a good relationship with your counsellor. If you feel that you and your counsellor aren't getting on, you should discuss this with them, or you can look for another counsellor.

School counsellor

School counsellors are trained to support young people with their problems; they are someone you can talk to who will help you with ideas on how you can change things to make things better. Most counsellors spend a day or two a week in the school and more than half of the schools in Gloucestershire have a school counsellor.

To find out how to contact your school’s counsellor look at your school’s website or speak to someone at your school. If your school doesn’t have its own counsellor, you can arrange one through TIC+ (Teens in Crisis).


TIC+ counsellors

TIC+ provide counsellors to some schools in Gloucestershire. If you can’t access a counsellor through your school and are 9 to 21 years old you can contact TIC+ directly and be seen for free at school or at a place you can easily get to near your home.

You can contact the TIC+ office on 01594 546117 or a parent, carer or friend can call for you. You can also text on 07977 334433 or message them from the TIC+ website and they will call you back. Online counselling is available from TIC+, go to www.ticplus.org.uk/online-counselling.php to find out more.


SHARE counselling service

If you are 11 to 25 years old and living in Cheltenham, you can talk to a trained counsellor from SHARE on Wednesday evenings at Oakley Community Resource Centre.

Call SHARE on 07928 775015, email shareypcs@yahoo.com or go to the SHARE website for more information. 

Private counsellors

Another option is to pay to see a private counsellor. The cost of private counselling can vary a lot but some counsellors offer lower rates for young people or discounts so that the more sessions you have, the cheaper it is. You should agree a price before starting counselling.

If you decide to see a private counsellor, make sure they're qualified and you feel comfortable with them - if not, then go and see someone else.

You can find a counsellor through a professional organisation such as the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy or the National Counselling Society.

Counselling and clinical psychologists are registered with the Health & Care Professions Council, and may also be with the British Psychological Society.

It’s good to talk lists private therapists near you and the NHS has more information on counselling.

"Choose people who lift you up."

- Michelle Obama


GPs are there to help you with any problem related to your mental health as well as physical health. You can go to them if you are feeling unhappy, anxious, angry or confused.

GPs don't just prescribe medicines, they can also help you to access talking therapies and point you towards specialist help.

Different types of therapy

There are lots of different kinds of therapy ‒ like art, music and drama therapy ‒ which give you the chance to be creative while exploring your feelings.

To find out about the types of therapy you could try in Gloucestershire, try the Gloucestershire Families Directory or Healthwatch’s Find a Service.

2gether NHS Foundation Trust Children and Young People Service

2gether’s Children and Young People Service is for young people under 18-years-old who are going through mental health troubles that are really affecting their day-to-day lives.

You can’t contact 2gether directly but if you think you need their support you can ask your school nurse, GP or another professional who is working with you to refer you to them.