I hate myself and don’t have any self-confidence > What can I do?Show sub-pages
It’s easy to have low self-confidence when you’re growing up – many young people and teenagers do. But there are lots of things you can do to feel better about yourself and be more confident.
- Create a ‘positivity list’ of 50 things about you that you like. These could be parts of your personality, skills or the way you look. It may take some time but looking at it when you feel down will help you.
- Surround yourself by positive people, not people who make you feel bad about yourself.
Do things that make you feel good
- Take up a hobby that you’re good at or have always wanted to try.
- Set yourself small achievable challenges and feel proud of yourself when you complete them.
Learn to be assertive
- Learn to be assertive, speak up for yourself and express your feelings. Practice in front of a mirror. You can take assertiveness classes at some colleges and can find practical exercises and tips online.
Be kind to yourself...
- Try to do regular exercise, eat healthily and get enough sleep.
- Start saying and thinking nice things about yourself.
- Don’t compare yourself to other people - everyone is different.
... and to other people
- Be caring to other people and support them – making others feel good can make you feel good too.
"Trust yourself. You know more than you think you do."
- Benjamin Spock